Jump to the main content block

Visa of Foreign International Drivers License (Permit)

A- A A+
※To Apply for an Foreign International Driver's License Visa(Permit)
First please see 「Current international regulations regarding the validity and transferability of Taiwan's international driver's permit and/or Taiwan's domestic driver's license」to confirm eligibility to apply.
Required documents
  • Valid foreign international driving license (original) issued by a country that has reciprocal and equal recognition of Taiwan licenses. (Note that AAA and AATA are the only two organizations authorized by the U.S. government to issue international driver's licenses; however, because certain U.S. states do not recognize AAA and, AATA international licenses, such licenses from these states will not be accepted).
  • Valid Foreign local driver's license (original) issued by a country that has reciprocal and equal recognition of Taiwan licenses.
  • Valid R.O.C. I.D. card (original) or an ALIEN RESIDENT CERTIFICATE (ARC) (original). If not in possession of an ARC, please provide valid passport (original ).
  • Valid passport or issuing country entry/exit record.
  • One personal photo (1-inch or 2- inch, black-and-white or color, with glossy surface, plain background. Full face must be clearly visible, and hats may not be worn), taken within the past six months. Digitally processed photos and worn or damaged photos will not be accepted.
Application Fee:None. Application method: apply in person or through an authorized agent (agent must submit their own R.O.C. I.D. card for verification) Application site:Highways supervisory authority
  • Kaohsiung City Motor Vehicles Office
    TEL:(07)361-3161 ext.279
    Address: No.71, Demin Rd., Nanzi Dist., Kaohsiung City 81157, Taiwan (R.O.C.)
  • Lingya Station
    TEL:(07)2257812 ext.2303
    Address:No.22, Ankang Rd., Lingya Dist., Kaohsiung City 80293, Taiwan (R.O.C.)
  • Applicants with international driver’s licenses issued by countries with reciprocal and equal recognition of Taiwan licenses may drive within the territory of the R.O.C. for up to 30 days after entry. For stays longer than 30 days, please apply for a driving permit with an international driver's license at the nearest motor vehicle office.
  • Permit for driving in the R.O.C. with an international driving license is valid until either the international driving license or the alien resident certificate (ARC) expires (whichever is soonest), up to a maximum validity of one year.
  • If your international driver's license was issued by the United States of America, please also bring your state or local driver's license to be checked.
  • Please pay off all the traffic violation fines before applying.
Visitors: 857 Update Date: 107-09-11 Maintenance Unit: Driver's Licenses Section, Kaohsiung City Motor Vehicles Office